Tuesday, May 22, 2007

missionary work in the rain

Hello family! I've had a real taste of taiwan weather this week. We just bike up the hill in the rain and I'm pretty wet. Last sunday we bike down to fengjia inbetween wards to met an investigator who didn't show up. (here we say "fong women de gutzi" which means "let the pigeons out" but translates to stood us up. She probably just forgot. anyway we were soaked when we got back to our second set of church meetings. I'm not used to the water in your shoes feeling yet. But it's not so bad. Sulian's baptism is on saturday. She is 21 year old mom, with a 6 month old daughter. In taiwan that's a really young age to have baby. Most people here don't get married until their late 20's, early 30's. She is so kind and really had enjoyed church. The relief society has really accepted her and made her feel welcome. We have an investigator who stopped smoking and drinking coffee yesterday!! She has been working on that for a few months. She is schizophrenic so she is so nervous without those things, but it is so awesome to see her progress!! Now we just have to figure out a way to get her to church because her mom doesn't want her to come, and needs her help at home. Her mom is an older lady who really likes us, but had a hard time getting around. she has to work every day, with two days off a month.... so we will try to figure out a way. That is one of the biggest obstacles here in taiwan--how everyone is always so busy with work and school. The kids go to school at 7 in the morning and sometimes don't get home until 7 or 9 at night. The parents work 10-13 hour days. Everyone would be blessed by the gospel so much, because with life so busy they don't have much purpose and happiness, but many aren't willing to make time for it. Last night we met with Marilyn (that's her english name) and she is also busy, but she wants to strengthen her faith. So we challenged her to take the small simple things of the gospel to heart--scripture, pray, church. If she can do that we know her faith will grow and she will be ready to be baptized. Thanks mom for taking time to go shopping for me. I'm sure those dresses will be great. Don't stress about getting the jumper done. We will probably be able to find someone to shorten the hem line for those dresses because they will need to be shorter. Thanks! I hope you are feeling well. You do a lot for all of us. Dad thanks for your letters. If you do make it up to idaho, tell everyone I say hi and to check out my pictures if they have a chance. Tim, sounds like the marathon was pretty tough. I still die running a mile. Way to finish, though. What else is new? Charity...hey how are you? I'd love to hear how life is in provo. I forgot you email address so hopefully you can still get this. Write me so I can write you. Hope you are enjoying everything and are happy.Josh, so how did state go? what's the plan for the summer job and everything else? Eric, so are you pretty excited school is almost out? anything fun happening lately? How's driver's ed stuff going? Well I hope all is well at home. Oh we went to eat at Fridays this week. It was so wierd to feel a little like we were in america. America and taiwan are just so different. I'm still working on being able to communicate much of anything in chinese. I can understand a lot more, but I'm praying that the language will come. Chinese is tough! It's all about faith. I love you allLove, your favorite taiwan sister missionary,Sister Browning

No comments: